The proceedings from AccessEngineering’s first Capacity Building Institute have been published on-line.
This institute focused on bringing together faculty, staff, and students from engineering departments around the country to discuss how to support individuals with disabilities in pursuing careers in engineering.
There were many wonderful presentations and discussions. In particular check out:
- Panel of engineers and students
- Recommendations for making engineering more accessible
- Universal design in the engineering curriculum
These discussions helped to inform several new resources from AccessEngineering including:
- Making a Makerspace? Guidelines for Accessibility and Universal Design
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Engineering Departments
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Engineering Labs
- Checklist for Making Engineering Labs Accessible to Students with Disabilities
The Capacity Building Institute was hosted at the University of Washington-Seattle April 7-9, 2015. Please let us know if you are interested in participating next year!